Your Resume Coach: How to Get Your Resume — Your Personal Brand — Past the Gatekeepers and Onto the Hiring Manager’s Desk!
Learn how to tell YOUR story and always leave employers wanting more . . .
There are many ways to fool yourself into thinking you’re actively job searching. If you’re spending a lot of energy job searching but not getting any results (such as submitting resumes online!), you are probably making some extremely common, and very costly, mistakes. Are you ready to shift gears and get back on the road to job success with your very own Feroce Resume Coach?
Do you know what a functional resume is – and whether you should you have one in order to compete? In a conventional resume, your story is scattered throughout the resume, often almost hidden, like Easter eggs a reviewer has no time to find. Feroce’s Modified Functional Resume can create the clear story that gives you the edge you need. Ask us if you’re a good candidate for one!
The Critical Importance of Story in Your Resume
If your resume is like most of the resumes we see, it’s merely a chronological outline of what you’ve done, interrupted by bullets. This is one recipe never to hear back from an employer. We also see resumes with Objectives in them — rather than well-crafted personal brands. Ouch. The fact is, your resume will be viewed for a few seconds by someone in HR or a hiring manager. That’s right — on average, about eight seconds!
If you don’t tell the reviewer how to read and interpret your resume by telling the story you want them to hear, then one of two things will happen, and both are disastrous: either the reviewer will, in her 8 seconds, provide no story (in which case you’re out), or the reviewer will substitute her own, less accurate and certainly less favorable story (in which case you’re out). Don’t let this happen to you — YOU must control the story, the spin, the interpretation of your past, your true strengths, and your future abilities.
Your LinkedIn profile, cover letters, interview strategies, and elevator pitch should all reflect your well-crafted personal brand. Feroce’s resume coaches are uniquely experienced to help you tell your story in its most positive light. Not sure? Get a free consultation to see how it feels to talk to one of our coaches.
Are You On Track with Your Resume or Do You Need Help?
- Applying and sending off 10-50 resumes a week with no response?
- Targeting positions that don’t realistically match your skill-sets, experience — or interests?
- Using the functional resume to just list a potpourri of skills? (Or not using a functional resume when you should?)
- Being called for phone interviews but never hearing back?
- Getting interviews but never making it to the job offer?
If you answered yes to one or all 5 of these questions, try out a free coaching consultation to start getting results.
Top 3 Myths About Job Searching
- It’s all about being clever and standing out in the crowd.
- Recruiters and Hiring Managers will translate my skills to fit their job. (Note: in most cases they won’t even see your resume unless the right keywords have been planted in it — we’ll teach you how!)
- It’s best to be natural and not prepare for the interview (see our interview coaches).
Our handpicked team of coaches has extensive experience hiring, recruiting, and training hiring managers how to interview. They have years of experience reviewing and critiquing resumes, preparing job candidates for success with interviewing and getting job offers. So, let’s take a look what our Feroce resume coaches can do for you:
- Conduct an audit of your current resume, cover letters, and LinkedIn profile
- Evaluate your current job search strategies
- Assess your strengths, skills, and experience
- Shape your resume to be your one- to two-minute commercial
- Provide you with a targeted job search plan that gets results
- Coach you on where to find the best opportunities for you
- Help you match your skills to fit jobs posted
- Jumpstart and guide you to maximize interview results
- Assist you with job negotiations
- Step past the gatekeepers and through the door with job offer in hand
But that’s not all! We’ll show you how to craft resumes and interview pitches that force employers to contact you, or ask you back.
How Your Resume Can Always Leave Employers Wanting More!
It’s not necessary, in your resume, to get into the nitty-gritty of how you have solved problems for other companies — problems that prospective employers might also have. Instead, avoid the excessive detail and create a mystery that will have employers calling you back. Why? Because they want to know what, exactly, you did to get the results you did!
It all starts with setting some bait in your resume.
Bait: “Delivered client results 35% under budget and three weeks ahead of schedule, by adopting new management techniques”.
That’s all — “new management techniques.” Make them ask you to explain that.
Bait: “Increased profits by 15% by applying innovative tax planning techniques”
See? It’s kind of fun, isn’t it? We’ll show you how to do this without overdoing it or withholding too much information or otherwise violating the personal brand we will create with you.
Laura Svolos, Certified Career, Resume, and Communications Coach
- Do you know your brand?
- Are you able to communicate the essence of who you are succinctly and persuasively?
- Is your resume stressing one thing and your cover letters another?
I’m Laura Svolos — a Certified Career, Resume, and Communications Coach, who draws upon my master’s degree in journalism and 25 years of communications and managerial experience (including working as a Deputy Press Secretary to a U.S. Senator). As your coach, I’ll help you to craft a persuasive, unified message in your resume, cover letters, and talking points for interviews. (I also throw in some copy editing.)
For Resume Clients: You’ll learn the keys to making your resume stand out above the rest while avoiding the common mistakes that could derail your prospects before you even get in the door.
For Those Who Need A Communications & Marketing Overhaul: We’ll create persuasive cover letters that complement your resume and highlight your strengths while distinguishing you from the rest of the pack. We’ll also work on talking points for interviews that spin your weaknesses into strengths and your strengths into skills that prospective employers can’t live without.
Some additional information about my background and skills:
- I know how to craft a successful cover letter: With no film experience, contacts, or relevant degree, I used my communication skills to secure a job with a Warner Bros film producer through a cold
submission of a cover letter. Samuel Goldwyn Jr. was among the producers who wrote me back requesting a meeting.
- I understand message development: As Deputy Press Secretary to a U.S. Senator, I composed sound bites, talking points, and press releases as part of the Senator’s overall media strategy.
- I have a keen eye for copy editing due to my rigorous educational training: I hold a master’s degree in journalism from the top-ranked Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern University.
- I employ best practices of coaching: I am certified by the International Coach Academy, whose coaching program meets the highest standards of the International Coach Federation.
- For those seeking to break free from a 9 to 5 job to start their own business: I navigated this transition successfully when I left my career as a nonprofit executive to start a nonprofit consulting firm
which I grew and sold after six years.
See Laura’s testimonials.
Our resume coaches serve clients in Los Angeles, San Francisco and the Bay Area, Miami, Chicago, Detroit, Minneapolis, St. Louis, New York City, Toronto, Charlotte, Philadelphia, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Calgary, Vancouver, Montreal, Madison, Milwaukee, NYC, Washington D.C., San Diego, Denver, Jacksonville, Atlanta, Honolulu, Baltimore, Boston, Kansas City, Omaha, Las Vegas, Newark, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Dayton, Portland, Pittsburgh, Nashville, Fort Worth, Salt Lake City, Seattle, San Jose, Phoenix, Tucson, Tampa, Olympia, Spokane, Tacoma, Palo Alto, Pasadena, Sacramento, Santa Monica, Greenwich, Hartford, New Haven, Albuquerque, Austin, Birmingham, Huntsville, Montgomery, Eugene, Salem, and many more! Contact a Feroce resume coach now!